Sunday, May 25, 2008

My First



Here is my first attempt at the Crayom Box Jacket. I choose to do it all out of hand spun. Well I modified the pattern to start and then realized that it wasn't going to fit me. I can never seem to stick to a pattern. When it was ready to sew up the seems I had to cut the back out and pick up and knit a new one. I knit one large mitered square for the back instead of the original little squares. This was not only my first Crayon Box Jacket but also my first time to cut a knitted item. I will have to admit it was very scary to me. I went to the ewe count and had the owner Penny Franz help me. It was all I could do to make the first cut. It turned out well I think and I needle felted the seems to make sure my hand spun didn't come apart. I entered it in the county fair and won Best of Show. Made me feel better that some one else liked it as well. I think I will follow the pattern next time ;)

4 comments:

Emma Gorodok said...

cutting my knitting? - scaring... I am still too afraid to give it a try, but your jacket looks great. Thanks for sharing

Penelope of Flitwick said...

Thanks it was an experience ;)

Heather said...

That's a GREAT jacket! I would have cried if I had to cut the back and re-knit...I'm glad you had someone to help you! Congrats on winning Best in Show - I'd put that ribbon up on my wall!

Emma Gorodok said...

congrats, Penelope, you won a copy of my pattern. As soon as you send me an email to handarbeitskram(at)online.de I will email you the pattern